Re: Porting stock heads (Ray Block)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 11:09:20 EST

I agree with Bill on this...the stock heads are prone to cracking.

However, finding a set of good stock Magnum heads isn't hard as their is an
abundance of them from wrecking yards ('92+ 5.2/5.9L heads are the same) or
from folks who have swapped out to the R/T heads and are selling them either
personally or on eBay.

Cost wise, it's cheaper to modify a good set of stock heads ($450-$500 for
rework w/porting and gasket matching on the average)...but performance wise,
the R/T heads will come out ahead when it boils down to all out high-end
performance.

On Supercharged and/or large cubic-inch displacement applications,
definitely invest in a set of R/T heads.

- Bernd