Re: Re: Re: RE: Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 13:09:16 EST

""Kyle Vanditmars"" <kylevan@telus.net> wrote in message
news:b5ngn2$t56$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> And another thing...
>
> I'm going to be replacing the cap/rotor/plugs/wires this summer as well -
> although the wires are pretty new, but only 7mm. I'll be doing what
> everyone recommends (brass contacts, 3923s, some big, low restriction
> wires,) and I'm wondering if a MSD or Accel coil would be an idea on my
'92?
> Should I instead get the Blaster SS coil if I go with the MSD?
>
> MSD - http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=29280
> Accel - http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=14645
>
> I've read up on the MSD boxes being no good for the OBD-I trucks, but
would
> the coil be a good plan? Even if it doesn't really give any power, and
just
> smooths things out.
>
> Thanks again, guys.
>
> -The Question Machine ;-)

Kyle,
I currently run an MSD 6AL ignition box with an accel coil on my 2K V6
without any problems. It made a big performance increase overall and helped
that little V6 o'mine rev a little quicker. The only drawback is that after
10K miles your cap, rotor, wires, and blugs are destroyed. I usually do
mine at about 7K, but this time I waited till 10K (the light came on) and
let me tell you that the rotor (black plastic) was completely orange and so
was the inside of the cap. The terminals were roasted and when I saw them I
was suprized that the truck actually ran. It's a bit more maintenence
hungry, but if you want the performance you gotta pay the dues.....

Now, I know that some people are opposed to the Accel coils, but it was less
of a hassle so I just went that route. Using the MSD coil would have
required that I fab up something to wire it in, whereas the Accel just
bolted and plugged right in in the stock location. No fabrication required.
As for the MSD box being no good on OBD-I I wouldn't know, I have a 2K. I
did run just the coil without the box for a while though, and it did make a
difference.

Hope this helps.

--
-Josh