RE: Re: Re: RE: Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 13:47:42 EST

One source for the brass cap/rotor is Napa. I've used MSD 8.5 wires for
many years with no problems. I believe Summit's price is less than Jeg's.
Unless you're experiencing pinging under heavy loads I'd have to recommend
the Autolite 3924 (stock replacement heat range). I've tried colder plugs
at the track and saw no difference in performance. However, the colder
plugs can foul up easier in daily driving and can lead to poorer combustion
and reduced gas mileage. One of the plug manufactures had a racing article
out several years ago stating you should always use the hottest plug
possible that doesn't cause pinging. On my older cars I've raced I was
able to advance the timing and in those cases the colder plugs helped. Not
so on computer controlled cars unless you get pinging with the stock heat
range. Use of a 180 thermostat can reduce pinging as well.

Regarding aftermarket coils and ignition systems....I've used both Jacobs
and Accel. The only difference was slightly smoother running when the
engine was cold. Beyond that they made no difference. The coil alone
won't make any difference. How do I know....I was at the track when my
Accel ignition died and another time when the coil got fried. I reconnected
the stock parts and ran identical times and speed. That's all I've used
since and I'm shifting at 6000 rpm. The stock parts are better than they're
given credit for! As long as the engine gets all the spark it needs, more
won't do any better. If you still want to spend money on a coil, by all
means get one that's a direct plug-in (accel or msd).

My apologies to the folks on this list who sell these parts. Somebody will
still buy them. I already spent my money and I can prove whether something
actually works on the street or track. :-)

RayB