Re: RE: Re: Re: RE: Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 15:16:04 EST

""RayB"" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:DHELJEKAGJCDGEGBEHHJKEKOCNAA.bpracing@worldnet.att.net...
> One source for the brass cap/rotor is Napa. I've used MSD 8.5 wires for
> many years with no problems. I believe Summit's price is less than Jeg's.
> Unless you're experiencing pinging under heavy loads I'd have to recommend
> the Autolite 3924 (stock replacement heat range). I've tried colder plugs
> at the track and saw no difference in performance. However, the colder
> plugs can foul up easier in daily driving and can lead to poorer
combustion
> and reduced gas mileage. One of the plug manufactures had a racing
article
> out several years ago stating you should always use the hottest plug
> possible that doesn't cause pinging. On my older cars I've raced I was
> able to advance the timing and in those cases the colder plugs helped.
Not
> so on computer controlled cars unless you get pinging with the stock heat
> range. Use of a 180 thermostat can reduce pinging as well.

Ray,
with this last tune up, I used the Accel U-Groove plugs, and the truck feels
peppier than it's ever been after a tune up. I got the whole kit from
summit that came with cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. That setup has yielded
the smoothest running combination in a long time. Hardly any shake with the
V6 at idle, and the V6 usually isn't too smooth. I'd definately buy it
again. I had previously used the 3923's and 3924's along with some
rapidfire plugs and various others. I think that they may have something
worth trying. Just thought I'd share...

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L