Re: Tranny Fluid and Life (was power windows)

From: Steve Mills (srm804@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 22:44:19 EST

Nobody lets trans fluid go 100,000 miles,you got lucky.My old 92 2wd had
180,000 miles on it and shifted great until a guy in a Hyundai decided to
total it for me.I had the dealer install a trans cooler when I ordered the
truck.I changed the trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles.I got smart
the first time and installed a drain plug.The 5.2 with the A518 drains 6
quarts.My latest 92 is a 5.2 4wd and the previous owner had Mobil 1
synthetic put in it.I don't recommend this because if you have any weeping
it will turn into a leak with synthetic.I learned my lesson with the old
truck when I put synthetic oil in it and my oil pan gasket leaked like
crazy.I went thru the trouble of replacing the gasket and it still leaked
bad.I went back to regular Castrol and the leak stopped.My thought is
silicone gaskets don't like synthetics.(P.S. you get a 3.9 you get a bad
trans.)Get a cooler it's your only hope.CHANGE YOUR FLUID