Re: Snow plow on DAK

From: Walt Felix (walt@walt-n-ingrid.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 09:30:53 EST

I have a Meyers TM6.5 on my 96 4x4 and I believe it’s a great truck for
plowing. I clear 9 driveways and 1 mid size commercial lot each
snowfall. I haven’t had any problems with the tranny and the truck
seems to handle 10” of snow with no problem. I am in the process of
replacing the 8 1/4” rear end with a Dana 60, but the problem was pre-
existing my installing the plow. The limited slip diff was weak and
couldn’t spin both wheels on wet pavement. I knew it was weak, but
didn’t do anything about it until the rear started making clicking
noise. The Dana should be here this week and that problem should be
solved once and for all.

I do disagree with one statement Tom made, I was told by the Meyers
rep. I had spoken with at the “Big E” Fair where I bought my plow last
fall, the poly plow actually weighs about 50lbs. more than the steel
one because poly blade required heavier steel bracing on the backside
of the plow blade to prevent flexing. Looking at Meyers website, they
list both at approx. 400 lbs. but I recall reading in their brochure
specs. they were about 50lbs. apart with the poly being the heavier of
the two.

The Meyers is a great product, however, there is one thing I don’t like
about it compared to the Fisher my ’88 Dakota had on it when I bought
it. The Meyers frame sits about 4” lower than the Fisher did. With the
Fisher, they actually cut the front air dam to mount it and it was
tucked up in-between the two frame rails, the Meyers didn’t require
cutting the air dam and mounted below the frame rails. I have noticed
that I have a tendency to bump it against curbs and scrape a bit
pulling in and out of parking lots, but over all I think the Meyers is
a more solid mount. Because you have an “AN” body style Dakota, this
should not be an issue for you. The front fascia is very different
then the older “N” body Dakotas like mine. Ground clearance of the
frame should be a question to ask when you’re shopping for one.

Walt Felix

http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
http://www.CruiseNights.Info
http://www.MoparsinMotion.Com

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:25:36 -0600
> From: Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: DML: Snow plow on DAK
>
> DakotaPU93@aol.com wrote:
> > Has anybody put a snowplow on their DAK?
> > Im thinking of getting a Quad cab and Im wondering if you can
> > put a plow on it.
> > I'd only be plowing a 400' foot driveway - not for commercial use.
> > If anyone has put a plow on their truck, how did it perform and
what size
> > engine did you have, and what type of plow?
> > Thanks, Kev
> >

> My 89 4x4 has been a plow truck its entire life (and it shows).
Plows
> are hard on any trucks - even heavy duty trucks. Granpa (name of the
> truck) had a 6.5 foot Meyers steel plow plade and an e-47 hydro lift
> unit. These plows are heavy. Poly plows are a bit lighter. If you
are
> only going to plow your private drive way I would recomend a differnt
> typw of snow plow - than the commercial grade plow I have.
>
> David Henry's 94 Gen II has a Snow Bear plow I believe. It uses an
> electric winch to raise and lower the blade (poly I believe). It is
> manual angle plow - meaning you have to get out of the truck and
adjust
> the angle yourself - if you need to push snow on different angle.
This
> kind of plow system is cheaper, lighter weight, and a little easier
> install than a traditional Meyers, Western, or Boss. It will also
put
> less wear and tear on your truck. 6.5 - 7 foot steel blades will
weigh
> between 500-700 lbs depending on the model and the mount. poly
blades
> will shave a couple hundrid off - but it is still a lot of weight to
> have on the front end of a light duty 1/2 ton truck.
>
> According to the Snow Bear plow guide ---
> (http://www.snowbear.com/html/mount_guide.html#3) --- they sell plows
> that will work with 1987 - 2002 model Dakotas. 2 and 4wd. (I
SERIOUSLY
> recommend 4wd for plowing - trust me you dont want to plow with a
2wd...
> these guys say you can - and if there is only a small amount of snow
on
> teh ground you can - but unless you are on a totally flat grade or
> downhill.... dont count on stellar results.)
>
> As for 2003 - you would have to contact them to see if it works with
> them - I would think they would - I dont think Dodge made any front
end
> changed between 02 and 03.
>
> If you wnat a plow for your drive way I I would recommend the snow
bear
> - - but I have not had any personal experiance with them - might want
> talk to David about it.
>
> - --
> Terrible Tom
>
> "It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."
>
> Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2
> Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka
Granpa)