Re: Snow plow on DAK

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 16:55:05 EST

Hi Walt! I didn't know you have a plow on your 96 - Another Dak Plow in
the family woohoo!

Yes I see what you mean about the weight difference. When I said "poly
plow" I was thinking of a plow like the Snow Bear that David has.
Shoulda' specified.

While I do not know the numbers of that particular plow, just looking at
its size Vs the blade and rigging I have - I would be more accurate in
saying I assume it is less weight. I was thinking along the lines of a
normal blade vs a downsized blade. Not normal steel vs normal poly.

Also the mount I have on Granpa is the old "bumper over" mount. Similar
to the mount I think you had on your 88. My mount bolts between the
frame rails and braces up against the lower frame - then the bumper
bolts up to the plow frame.

Walt Felix wrote:
> I have a Meyers TM6.5 on my 96 4x4 and I believe it's a great truck for
> plowing. I clear 9 driveways and 1 mid size commercial lot each
> snowfall. I haven't had any problems with the tranny and the truck
> seems to handle 10" of snow with no problem. I am in the process of
> replacing the 8 1/4" rear end with a Dana 60, but the problem was pre-
> existing my installing the plow. The limited slip diff was weak and
> couldn't spin both wheels on wet pavement. I knew it was weak, but
> didn't do anything about it until the rear started making clicking
> noise. The Dana should be here this week and that problem should be
> solved once and for all.
>
> I do disagree with one statement Tom made, I was told by the Meyers
> rep. I had spoken with at the "Big E" Fair where I bought my plow last
> fall, the poly plow actually weighs about 50lbs. more than the steel
> one because poly blade required heavier steel bracing on the backside
> of the plow blade to prevent flexing. Looking at Meyers website, they
> list both at approx. 400 lbs. but I recall reading in their brochure
> specs. they were about 50lbs. apart with the poly being the heavier of
> the two.
>
> The Meyers is a great product, however, there is one thing I don't like
> about it compared to the Fisher my '88 Dakota had on it when I bought
> it. The Meyers frame sits about 4" lower than the Fisher did. With the
> Fisher, they actually cut the front air dam to mount it and it was
> tucked up in-between the two frame rails, the Meyers didn't require
> cutting the air dam and mounted below the frame rails. I have noticed
> that I have a tendency to bump it against curbs and scrape a bit
> pulling in and out of parking lots, but over all I think the Meyers is
> a more solid mount. Because you have an "AN" body style Dakota, this
> should not be an issue for you. The front fascia is very different
> then the older "N" body Dakotas like mine. Ground clearance of the
> frame should be a question to ask when you're shopping for one.
>

> Walt Felix
>
> http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
> http://www.CruiseNights.Info
> http://www.MoparsinMotion.Com

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/