Re: Re: Bad ball joints -need opinions please..

From: Steve Mills (srm804@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 14:51:45 EST

  Dan I assuming your truck is a 2wd.My experience with these noises and
knocks is as follows:If you feel it in your wheel it's your steering
coupler.If you just hear it when you turn it could be one of your coil
spring insulators at top of spring.On my 92 2wd I went through the trouble
of replacing all 4 myself to find the noise still there.Took it to the
dealer told them what I did to get the answer of (I have never heard of ball
joints going on a Dakota)When the tech took my right coil spring out he
found that the insulator had slipped off the spring and was then metal on
metal causing noise when I turned left.He reset the insulator and held it in
place with heavy duty wire ties and I never had the noise again.If you plan
on doing ball joints I recommend Moog with zerk fittings.You can grease them
and they have lifetime replacement.