RE: 1/4 mile revs & mph

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 21:35:09 EST

Not sure what you mean by "good gearing". It is what it is and 3.90 ain't
bad. :-) A smaller dia rear tire will raise the rpm at that speed because
it changes the effective gear ratio to something more aggressive. (like
maybe equal to a 4.10)

> to me, the 60 to 90MPH accel seems a tad slow in third gear.

Acceleration is third gear is always slower than in first or second because
you have no extra gear multiplication. In third it's one to one so your
only gear multiplier is the rear axle.

> whats usually done about that?> -Dan
> '92 Grey Dak Club Cab, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.90 rear, 235/75R15 & 108,000mi

Well, you could try reading my reply on 3/30 entitled "How to make some
"REAL" power". There's plenty of tips there to get you better acceleration.
Inexpensively too, I might add. ;-)

RayB