Weird front end pop

From: DML (samjperez@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 15:28:05 EST

I have this weird metal to metal pop in the front end, seems like it comes
from driver side. I just had the my front end checked, ie Ball joints, tie
rods etc, and all checked out okay. Not coming from rack 'n' pinion,
Calipers are all tight. However upon reassembly I noticed that the hub/rotor
assembly on the passenger side is rocking back and forth, read
clockwise/counterclockwise, the tech said it was just that the retaining
washer was tighter on the other side than it was on the this side since the
other side doesn't move at all. I also noticed that the seal nut is oozing
grease from around the inside of the hub. Apparently possibly original owner
removed it and since these are one time use it is damaged. I am to assume
anyway. My question is are these things normal?

1). Hub rocking back and forth
2) Oozing retaining hub nut.
3) any other possibly you could think of for popping noise in front end.

Also someone on the list mentioned same noise with and stated that their
spring had come loose and that it was rubbing against the metal frame. I
checked this it is secure and doesn't move either side.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sam Perez
San Marcos TX
'00 Blk Dak Sport