Re: What to do????

From: Conrad J. Koch (conrad1881@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 06:35:19 EDT

Hey Eric,

At 01:57 AM 4/9/2003 -0400, Eric Jerman wrote:
>My question is this...is it even worth trying to get it fixed or will it
>never be "true" again? Or does it depend on how bad it is? The only
>reason I am debating trying to have it straightened is because I called
>the company that I got it from and they said "Unfortunately that rim is
>imported from Italy and we don't know when we'll see more in...probably in
>about 4 weeks."
>Wonderful right?

There was a place in Exeter or Portsmouth that did alloy wheel repair and
sold all OE wheels. They did great work from what I'd heard, but I can't
remember their name or anything anymore, sorry. They were in the Yellow
Pages though with a 1/4 page ad under "auto repair" if I recall correctly -
if that helps at all. Your best bet is to take the wheel to a shop like
that and have them look at it.

>So anyway next question...is it possible to go after the DOT to have it
>replaced? It's pretty crazy that I pay tolls to drive on their roads that
>are in such horrible condition as to cause damage like this! Tomorrow I
>will be going back to NY to get my factory rims back on...seems myself and
>about half of Manchester thought winter was over and jumped the gun
>putting our rims back on...
>Let me know what you think. TIA
>Eric Jerman

You'll probably have to take the hit and buy a new wheel or get it fixed...
MA DOT will argue FOREVER about who's jurisdiction it is - county / village
/ town - if they even consider doing anything about it. You'll more than
likely end up with a 6 month to a year wait before any final decision is
made and still have a bent wheel. A friend went through the exact same
thing a while back and it never got resolved to my knowledge.

I used to live in Nashua and drive Rte 3 to Burlington MA every day with
occasional side tracks to 495. I feel your pain... ;)

-Conrad