Timing Chain

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 20:29:03 EDT

Ok - - heres the deal.. I went out and bought a $20 timing chain and
sproket set from Autozone... The chain that I took off (SERIOUS SLACK)
had no tensioner.. I assume that the 3.9L V6 premags didnt use them? I
see no provisions for one to mount to - and no mention of a tensioner in
the FSM. I'll have some more pics posted soon...

Also - I have a few problems now which I need help with. First of all
- - I learned a very valuable lesson on automotive repair orginizational
skills. LABLE EVERYTHING AND KNOW WHAT GOES WHERE!!!

I do not know what bolts go where and in what order, to replace the
chain cover and water pump and accessories. I started to get organized
AFTER I took down the front of the engine. (duh)

Also - where do I use the RTV? It appears the previous crank shaft seal
had rtv around it - also it looks like RTV was used on the underside of
the oil-pan-to-timing-cover gasket. (the u shaped half circled rubber
gasket that fits over the lip of the oil pan)

Do I use RTV there? Or just on the fiber gaskets that go to theengine
block and then to the water pump... also RTV goes on the corners of the
oil pan gasket front two oil pan bolts screw into the chain cover right?

Any tips for installing the Vib. Dampener and the crank shaft oil seal?
  Never done this before - - suprised I;ve done as well as I have.

I called up the mechanic who F'ed me over on the engine and rubbed his
nose in it. Felt damned good too. "Alternator Bearing" my ass.......

******** COUNTDOWN: 90 DAYS LEFT UNTIL M-DAY *******

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/