Re: Timing Chain

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 00:45:12 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Ok - - heres the deal.. I went out and bought a $20 timing chain and
> sproket set from Autozone... The chain that I took off (SERIOUS SLACK)
> had no tensioner.. I assume that the 3.9L V6 premags didnt use them? I
> see no provisions for one to mount to - and no mention of a tensioner in
> the FSM. I'll have some more pics posted soon...

my 88 genI didnt have a tensioner either.

> Also - I have a few problems now which I need help with. First of all
> - - I learned a very valuable lesson on automotive repair orginizational
> skills. LABLE EVERYTHING AND KNOW WHAT GOES WHERE!!!
>
> I do not know what bolts go where and in what order, to replace the
> chain cover and water pump and accessories. I started to get organized
> AFTER I took down the front of the engine. (duh)

naw, everything in a pan on the valve cover, common sense
where they go ;)

> Also - where do I use the RTV? It appears the previous crank shaft seal
> had rtv around it - also it looks like RTV was used on the underside of
> the oil-pan-to-timing-cover gasket. (the u shaped half circled rubber
> gasket that fits over the lip of the oil pan)
>
> Do I use RTV there? Or just on the fiber gaskets that go to theengine
> block and then to the water pump... also RTV goes on the corners of the
> oil pan gasket front two oil pan bolts screw into the chain cover right?

personally, I use "high tack" on the gasket to cover,let it set well w/
few bolts to hold it in place and use RTV at the oil pan.

> Any tips for installing the Vib. Dampener

oil/grease the seal and damper and just use the bolt to pull it on.

and the crank shaft oil seal?
> Never done this before - - suprised I;ve done as well as I have.

pop old seal out, clean bore, use a lg. socket or get a pipe coupler
that
just fits into cover and use it as a seal installer. they usually have
rounded ends so it wont hit actual seal area.
put cover on a flat surface and then get a big f&^%$# hammer and drive
it
home, gentle love taps destroy seals.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.