Driving a stick (was: Gary's webpage)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 23:40:31 EDT

"Jon" <jonsdak@midmaine.com> wrote:

: I agree with Josh. One thing I'll add is to stick with one car (likely your
: SVT) until you're VERY comfortable with driving a manual. Every clutch is
: different, especially today's hydraulic units, and the difference from car
: to car can be night and day, making learning more difficult.

   That's true. My '90 Dak and '96 Dak are both 5-speeds.
Recently, the '96 was parked for maybe a week and a half to
two weeks without me having driven it. I was driving an
automatic for much of that time, then drove the '90 for 4-5
days during a spell of nice weather. Right after that, I
drove the '96 and WOW! It felt like I had never driven it
before. The clutch feel and engagement was very different.
This is the same truck that I have drag raced for years, and
it felt like I had never driven it before. :-) Felt pretty
weird for the first 10 miles or so, then I stopped noticing.
After I had driven home, I realized that I was completely
comfortable with it again.

   I'm not really sure what the point of this story is. ;-)
It was just weird to feel so "disconnected" from a vehicle
that previously, was almost like a part of me. Especially given
the fact that this would happen when going between two
essentially identical vehicles, from an "interior ergonomics"
standpoint (or maybe that was a part of it?) - all it took
was a different clutch feel to throw me off. Weird.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'