Re: dual batteries

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 11:54:54 EDT

"BARRY OLIVER" <DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us> wrote:

:>>> jdurling@bellsouth.net 05/02/03 07:55AM >>>
: ....I have thought for quite a while now about
: setting up a dual battery system with one in the bed.....
:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

: Is anyone on the list actually running Dual batteries? It seems, given the space available (in a GenIII) that it might be possible to run 2 of those odd-size small batteries and net more cca and run-time than a single big battery. The other advantage is you could wire one of those low-voltage battery breakers to the #2 battery and have a sort of a backup. I have thought about having dual batteries because I would like to have an on-board welder at some point, and that's one of the recommendations I h
ave read - run 2 batteries, a standard battery and a marine battery, with all of your lights, radio and wantnot on the marine battery, using the starting battery only to start and weld....

   I'm running triple batteries, but its in my Ram, so I won't be of
too much help as far as packaging goes, but if you need any other
hookup info I might be able to give you some info.

   Its actually a "dual battery" setup, but the second battery is two
batteries, wired in parallel. I mounted them above the passenger
fender well, opposite the stock battery on the driver's side. The
second "battery" is two Everstart MaXX 1000ca batteries; the "stock"
battery is still fine, but when it decides to die I will replace it
with two more 1000ca MaXX batteries. So, currently I only have
something like 2600 cranking amps, but when the stock battery dies I
will have 4000. :-) I am using Wal-Mart Everstart MaXX batteries
because they are powerful, cheap, and come with a 3 year warranty.
For the price difference and the way I use the truck, I didn't see
the need to use Optimas or a deep cycle.

   The hookup is pretty simple - you just need to make sure you get
the proper gauge wire (when in doubt, bigger is better), a battery
isolator (about $30-50) and a circuit breaker. My secondary "battery"
is isolated as I only use it for the winch and some lights, so if I
want to use it to help start the truck, I would have to run jumper
cables from the secondary battery to the primary. Not a big deal
since I normally carry cables in the truck anyway. A lot of people
put in a solenoid or a switch to do the same thing, and I may do
that some day but it just hasn't been a priority. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'