Re: questions on 7/70 warranty maintenance procedure

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 12:45:47 EDT

Jud Herrman wrote:

> I've had my new 2003 Dakota (4x4 5-speed 4.7engine) for a few months
> now and I and have a few questions about the maintenance procedures
> for keeping the 7/70 warranty intact.
>
> I changed out the break-in oil at 1000 miles and replaced it with
> Mobil 1. I'm keeping a careful log-book and receipts. I'm planning on
> changing the oil again at 5000 miles and then every 5000
> thereafter. The maintenance guidelines call for 3000 mile intervals
> for heavy usage (just about everybody would come under this category
> it seems) and 6000 for light usage. Are 5000 mile intervals likely to
> cause any sort of problem for warranty coverage?
>
> The maintenance book seems to require some kind of dealer
> certification every 3000 miles. But if I change my own oil and check
> my own fluids etc, do I really need to take it in to the dealer every
> 3000 miles to have them sign off on the book?
>
> I know I could ask the dealer, but I thought I might get some more
> useful feedback from this group.

I asked my dealer many of these questions when I picked up my '03
(sounds like you're set up exactly as I am). Your manual should have
come with a maintenance logbook. Use it, they'll probably want to see
it if you have a warranty claim. Keep the receipts (make sure they're
dated!) for your oil purchases or trips to Jiffy Lube or whatever in
that logbook - he said that'd be good enough. Really I think what you
have to do is show a good faith effort.

As far as the mileage between changes, keep in mind that there are *two*
maintenance schedules in your manual and *both* are considered valid.
One of them says 7500 miles between changes, the other 3000. With a
high-quality oil like Mobil 1 you should be OK at 5000 mile intervals
but it may be worth a check with Chrysler HQ (I say that because it'll
carry more weight).

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------