questions on 7/70 warranty maintenance procedure

From: Jud Herrman (jherrman@bowdoin.edu)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 12:22:24 EDT

I've had my new 2003 Dakota (4x4 5-speed 4.7engine) for a few months
now and I and have a few questions about the maintenance procedures
for keeping the 7/70 warranty intact.

I changed out the break-in oil at 1000 miles and replaced it with
Mobil 1. I'm keeping a careful log-book and receipts. I'm planning on
changing the oil again at 5000 miles and then every 5000
thereafter. The maintenance guidelines call for 3000 mile intervals
for heavy usage (just about everybody would come under this category
it seems) and 6000 for light usage. Are 5000 mile intervals likely to
cause any sort of problem for warranty coverage?

The maintenance book seems to require some kind of dealer
certification every 3000 miles. But if I change my own oil and check
my own fluids etc, do I really need to take it in to the dealer every
3000 miles to have them sign off on the book?

I know I could ask the dealer, but I thought I might get some more
useful feedback from this group.

Thanks, Jud Herrman