Re: Looking at a Dakota

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 10:20:42 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <kenallgood@cox.net>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 7:20 AM

> Yup, I told him that if he can find one for a good price, go with a V8.

Ken,

I agree that the V8 is sound advice, but don't forget that there are other
factors that figure in to the tow rating, some of which are even more
important than having a large engine (just ask any R/T owner). I don't mean
to harp on this point, but the axle ratio appears to make as much of a
difference as the engine. There's also the hitch to consider.

Given a choice between a V6 with 3.9 gears and a good class IV hitch already
installed vs. a V8 with 3.21 gears and just the bumper hitch, I'm pretty
sure the V6 would be the better choice for towing. My FSM and sales
brochure are out in the truck, but I can get them later and back up my
opinion with some actual facts.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just hoping to help you help your
dad make the best decision. We've got all the official tow ratings for just
about every year from '91 - '98 as we collect the sales brochures, so if you
need any numbers looked up just ask.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer