RE: Re: peeling clear coat

From: Tim Althoff (talthoff@yllwdkta.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 14:26:06 EDT

Hey, join the crowd of displeased Chrysler/dodge fans! The solar yellow color is known for this problem. Mine has been babied it's entire life and when I started peeling right before the warranty I called the dealer...oh bring it in and we'll see what we can do. Well, basically a year and a half later I still have the same problem and it's only getting worse! The amount of paint gone from my 99 Dakota is ridiculous! They did offer to pain just the top half of my bed (which is a total of $900) but I have talked to many body shops that say the entire truck needs repainted (everything is starting to turn white which is the last step in the paint peeling off). I have a very reasonable quote from a great shop to paint the entire truck for $2600 (stripped all the way down and redo everything) but don't have the money for it.

I have gotten several emails from people who have had problems and have been inspired to start the bitching again but this time directly with Dodge's legal department and the BBC. Don't expect much since all they do is give you the run around. "oh, you should take it to a 5-star dealer for service since they have a body shop on site." And my truck will come out with runs, and orange peel and everything else common with a cheap job! Plus this is the same dealer that removed my seats by dragging them out...scratching both door panels, and taking chunks out of my door jambs and then turning around and say they didn't do it...

well, I don't want to scare you off b/c lots of people have gotten their trucks painted but it's not in your favor. They usually say that your SOL, then later give you a crappy offer to see if you bit at that, then they will either give you a great offer or you have to take them to court where they ussualy settle right before, (they don't like going to court b/c then it's on file that they paid for your vehicle and then lots of people come wanting the same).

Tim Althoff
www.yllwdkta.com