Re: Oil and Temp gauges on '92 -'93

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 14:16:19 EDT

"Dan Kramarsky" <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20030523050403.80640.qmail@web41010.mail.yahoo.com...

> the oil guage seems to be on the low side on my '92 318.
> i use 10w-30 from Shell most of the time. does anyone
> know where the guage should be. like 12 noon or 11 o'clock or what.
>
> the level is fine.

My oil pressure gauge is usually around 12 to 1, and I run 10w-30 Castrol
GTX. I figure that's normal, since the gauge only shows the "optimum
range," so being around the middle would be good.

> also the temp guage shows real low. theres the "C" printed on it and next
> to it a tick mark, then about 1/32" away another tick. thats where
> my temp needle sits all the time.

Well, I have a 180* t-stat in my truck (also a '92) and it sits exactly
where you describe yours when fully warmed up. My guess would be that you
already have a 180* stat in there, obviously. Maybe pull the thermostat out
and see if there is a rating stamped on it. Of course, if you have A/C,
that might be a little bit of a pain in the butt.