Re: RE: Re: peeling clear coat

From: Brian Fitchett (fitchett@chem.utah.edu)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 14:48:42 EDT

I have just started the whole run around. The regional rep is apparently
out of town until the first of June or thereabouts. Once he gets back then
I will have a talk with him. Do you have any pictures of what is happening
to your truck? I am going to take some of mine this afternoon when i get
back home. I dont think that there is anything i could have done to prevent
this from happening short of leaving the truck in storage for 5 years. It
has always had a coat of wax on it, i have witnesses to that effect that
think i am nutty for washing and waxing it so much.

Is it worthwhile to get an estimate from a body shop and take that to the
dealer and see what they have to say about it??? I have to look but if it
is a defect from the paint, then regardless the dealer pays to fix the
problem, I believe there is legal precedence for this but i will have to
look it up. Maybe i will go hound the law students across the parking lot
and see what they have to say about it, let them get some practice taking on
big corporations who dont give a rats ass about their customers or their
product after the 36,000 miles alotted.

""Tim Althoff"" <talthoff@yllwdkta.com> wrote in message

> Hey, join the crowd of displeased Chrysler/dodge fans! The solar yellow
color is known for this problem. Mine has been babied it's entire life and
when I started peeling right before the warranty I called the dealer...oh
bring it in and we'll see what we can do. Well, basically a year and a half
later I still have the same problem and it's only getting worse! The amount
of paint gone from my 99 Dakota is ridiculous! They did offer to pain just
the top half of my bed (which is a total of $900) but I have talked to many
body shops that say the entire truck needs repainted (everything is starting
to turn white which is the last step in the paint peeling off). I have a
very reasonable quote from a great shop to paint the entire truck for $2600
(stripped all the way down and redo everything) but don't have the money for
it.

> I have gotten several emails from people who have had problems and have
been inspired to start the bitching again but this time directly with
Dodge's legal department and the BBC. Don't expect much since all they do is
give you the run around. "oh, you should take it to a 5-star dealer for
service since they have a body shop on site." And my truck will come out
with runs, and orange peel and everything else common with a cheap job! Plus
this is the same dealer that removed my seats by dragging them
out...scratching both door panels, and taking chunks out of my door jambs
and then turning around and say they didn't do it...

> well, I don't want to scare you off b/c lots of people have gotten their
trucks painted but it's not in your favor. They usually say that your SOL,
then later give you a crappy offer to see if you bit at that, then they will
either give you a great offer or you have to take them to court where they
ussualy settle right before, (they don't like going to court b/c then it's
on file that they paid for your vehicle and then lots of people come wanting
the same).

> Tim Althoff
> www.yllwdkta.com

Chrysler