Brake pads rattling

From: Greg (gsutinen@wi.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 09:00:49 EDT

I've got a 2001 CC 4wd with 22k miles that's developed a rattle in the front
right corner. I'm suspecting the brake area because when I apply a small
amount of brake pedal pressure it disappears. I pulled the wheel today and
can see the inboard pad against the caliper piston seems to be moving around
and I can rattle it. Is there suppose to be a spring clip attached to the
pad that holds it in place on the pistons inside diameter? If so, I believe
it went south on me. I've done a search of the archives, but only turned up
a bunch of rattling outer pads without the retainer. Also, I know that
brakes aren't warrenteed for this long, but would this be a part that would
be because of the nature of the claim? It broke, not wore out? The truck
stops good without any vibrations so if they would pay this time, I would
just as soon let them.

Greg '01 CC 4WD 4.7 Auto