Re: Re: insurance?

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 11:15:31 EDT

The whole thing with the "trucks cause more damage" is this. Remember that insurance is mainly to pay for damages for any accidents that YOU CAUSE. So if you run into someone else, and it's your fault, your insurance must pay for the repairs to the other car, and yours too. Since trucks are built stronger and higher then cars, they tend to do more damage. So, everything being equal, and you cause an accident in a truck vs doing it in a car, the truck will do more damange almost every time. 4 years ago, I broadsided a lady with my Probe in an intersection. It was determined she failed to yield (turned left in front of me at a green light, not green arrow), and was given a ticket for failure to yield. Within 2 days, my Probe was at a shop (it was easily drivable, minor damage to front bumper and 1/4 panel) that I agreed to use with her insurance company. 4 days later, I had my car back. Everything was handled by her insurance company, my insurance company was only advised of the accident, but did not
need to take any action. So back to the subject, trucks tend to cause more damage in an accident, insurances is to cover the damage you do to other vehicles when it's your fault, thus the higher rates. Now, saying that, I think they're gauging you :-) My truck insurance rate is barely higher than my '90 Probe, and the value of each is $500 compared to about $6K or so for the Truck.

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L