Megasquirt (was: Superchips Dyno Results)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 16:00:34 EDT

Shane Moseley <smoseley@datastar.net> wrote:

: Step out of the box and let your mind explore the potential given NO
: CONSTRAINTS!

   I'm familiar with the Megasquirt (because of Shane, actually) :-)
but I hadn't realized it was so flexible. I'm on the mailing list,
but just sort've skim the subjects.

  It sounds like the Megasquirt could be used in conjunction with
the stock computer in a boosted application to solve some of the
common problems. Perhaps electronically limit the signal from
the stock MAP sensor (so that it never shows pressure greater
than 0") and plumb in a 2 bar sensor to the Megasquirt, to allow
it to pick up the slack under pressure, using a wide band O2
sensor?

  A setup like that (assuming it would work) wouldn't require
someone to commit themselves to the level where they need to turn
complete engine control over to the Megasquirt and tune the engine
from scratch, but would essentially act as a "better FMU".

   Just thinking out loud here now, but ya know what would be
cool is a mode on the Megasquirt where you piggyback it onto
the engine and just put it into "record" mode and drive around
for several weeks. The Megasquirt builds its own fuel maps
(and spark, if that function were ever combined into one unit)
so that when you are ready to ditch the stock PCM, you essentially
have an identical copy of the map ready to go. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'