Re: Hinged soft tonneau recommendations?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 16:30:33 EDT

andy levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:

: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> That's considerably better than the prices I've seen! Is this a
:> local place to you, or do they have a web site or something that
:> I can check out or order from?

: I found BME Covers online http://www.bmecovers.com/ltd_dodge.html If
: you order from him, *call first* to find out if he has them in stock or
: if he has to have Downey ship direct to you - the latter will add some
: time to the order.

  Thanks! (Is this the same guy you bought yours from?)

:> BTW, do you know if yours was cheaper because of the smaller QC
:> bed, or are they all the same price no matter the size?

: Looks like the same price across the board, even for Rams.

   Ironically, with the DiRT discount, the SportMasters tonneau is
the exact same price $315. So that pretty much eliminates price as
a factor - now I guess I have to figure out which is a better cover -
Downey or SportMasters. Although I haven't seen it in person, I
like the concept behind the way the "snaps" on the Downey work -
especially if they slide - do you know how far they will actually
slide? Do you think it would be possible to unhook the back and
"accordian" the cover, sliding it up to the front of the bed, or
wouldn't it go that far?

:> At first, not having the hinge at the front of the bed seems
:> goofy, but that might actually be a good thing for the convertible -
:> depending on how much is not hinged, I *might* even be able to open
:> the tonneau most of the way without putting the top up...

: Possibly, I think it'll depend on how much isn't hinged. I'll measure
: mine tonight.

  I took a look at the truck again and I doubt it will matter a whole
lot - it would have to have something like a foot and a half to two
feet un-hinged in order to lift the tonneau all the way.

:> Sure, if you've got some handy and its not too much trouble, I'd
:> like to see them. I would normally wait until the BBQ to check it
:> out in person, but I'd like to get a tonneau before Carlisle.

: I'll try to get some tonight or this weekend.

  Great, thanks!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'