Re: RE: {HELP} Low Oil Pressure at Idle

From: Bill Day (billday@consolidated.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 10:07:24 EDT

Dan,
     Don't want you to worry or freak, but when I purchased my 95 dak(used)
I had a couple months with intermittent low oil pressure.. Passing and old
guy one night brought my low oil idiot light on, pulled over and checked her
out, oil level was normal after letting it sit. The next morning I was
knocking, hard. Took it to dodge and had it checked out, seems the previous
owner hadnt believed in oil changes from the looks of the pan... over 1" of
metal shavings and sludge in oil pan, along with a clogged oil sump screen..
needless to say $3g later I have a new motor..
    A week later I was having shifting problems, took it in for service and
my tranyy fluid was a little dirty but not bad, however the problem there
was the parts paper located in the package for the filter was put into the
tranny as well.. blocking flow. No shavings or noteable damage there so I
just had her flushed and filled and new filter($90). The sorry part was
that the filter parts paper was from a dealership stock item... No way to
tell whether adealer service center left it in or someone bought one and
installed it themselves.

My suggestion, buy a oil pan gasket, drop the pan and check the screen for
the sump, sounds like a lot of work, but for it being a '92 it looks like it
might be time to look and see.

l8r,
Bill Day

billday@consolidated.net