Re: Fuel tank

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 21:42:23 EDT

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:27:29 -0400, andylevy@yahoo.com (andy levy)
wrote:

>Droo wrote:
>
>> I didn't know that there were that many stupid people out there that ran
>> out of gas that often for any car maker to find a need to put an
>> indicator in.

Go into a Wal-Mart or Costco on a holiday weekend and tell me you
don't see "that many stupid people" running around... :-)

>I did it once, not on either of my Daks but on a small Japanese car. I
>thought I could make it on fumes for most of a day driving around
>looking at apartments. I came up about a mile short of being right.
>
>Based on what I saw my '03 do a couple times, I think our light comes on
>with a calculated 40 miles until empty, according to my overhead
>computer. But that's got a HUEG buffer built in.

I don't even look at that thing. The distance-to-empty calculation is
so far off it's not even funny. For me, at highway speeds, the DTE
mileage reads the same for a good 4-5 miles... I have a feeling that
part of that is because of my driving (I do mostly short trips, as I
work and go to school less than 3 miles from my house) so my average
is a bit "off" for highway driving.

-Bill