Re: Losing oil - oil baffle?

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 23:11:11 EDT

 Well, I got the oil baffles in tonight and cleaned up the Valve Covers real
good to see if any fresh oil shows up. I'll probably be able to tell
tommorrow if anymore is leaking out the cap if I get fresh oil on top of the
Valve Cover. I'll know by the weekend if I'm losing any more oil or not.
I did take it for a test drive and it felt pretty good, even stomped a
Mitsubishi pretty good :-)

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L

> > From: <kenallgood@cox.net>
> > Date: 2003/06/10 Tue PM 12:49:15 EDT
> > To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
> > Subject: DML: Losing oil - oil baffle?
> >

> > Ok, really really quick history here. Back in January, as some
remember, I put the Dakota into a ditch. Replaced front bumper, radiator,
etc. While I was at it, I put on Crower 1.7 rockers and Mopar Polished
valve covers. Ever since, I have been losing oil, probably a minimum of 1/2
qt per fillup (300+ miles). Some pointed to the Belly pan gasket, so I put
on new intake gasket and intake manifold (shop said I was losing oil from
back of the intake manifold before). Problem still exists. That was done
about a month ago.

> > Couple of things:
> > On the passenger side Valve Cover, you have 2 openings on the top. I
used the front opening for the Vacuum line to the intake manifold. The back
hole, I just used one of the caps that came with the Valve Covers. I just
went out and looked, and there is some fresh oil (I know it wasn't there 2
days ago, not as much anyway) on top of the valve cover below that rear cap.
I checked, and the cap is on all the way, so what might be causing that?
Another thing to note. I did not put in an oil baffle in the Valve Covers
when I put them on, could this be a source of the problems? I definitely
see fresh oil on the inlet tube to the intake manifold where the vacuum line
connects to it coming off of the Valve Cover.