Re: muffler for 5.9L

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 00:40:53 EDT

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:12:58 -0400, balbrecht@iname.com wrote:

>I'm interested in a Flowmaster muffler for my Durango and I'm not sure if I want a 40 series (#942542) or one of the 50 series (#942552 and #52557). I've had Blue Bottles on a previous V8 car and liked the drone but now I have a family and I'm worried the constant drone of a to free flowing system will be hard to handle on long trips where the kids like to watch videos on our portable TV.
>Any thoughts, comments from folks on the list that may have tried a Flowmaster 40 or 50 series and the interior noise on long trips?
>Brad

I've had a 50 series "delta flow" on my 2000 Dakota (4.7L) for almost
2 and a half years now. I like it. The interior noise is definitely
louder than stock, but not too loud. It's loudest while accelerating,
as would be expected.

When I was first trying to decide what to get, I too was unsure if the
40 or 50 series would be best for what I wanted. So I went down to
the local muffler shop that's been around for ages that *everyone*
likes (never heard a bad word about them). I talked with one of the
guys there about what to get, and he said that the 50 series would be
ideal for me. What I wanted was something that would produce a nice
throaty sound without being excessively loud on the outside (although
I didn't care much about exterior noise) but still reasonable on the
inside. As he explained it, the biggest difference between the 40 and
50 series is with the interior noise. The 50 series produces
significantly less interior resonance while producing only a little
bit less on the exterior. On long freeway trips, interior noise isn't
much compared to the other tire/wind/road noise.

For me, the 50 series is plenty loud as far as exterior sound, but if
you're looking for something really loud, it won't be sufficient.

If you're still not sure, the best thing you can do is go to a good
(i.e. LOTS of experience) muffler shop and tell them your concerns and
the features you are looking for.

-Bill