Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: alternator question

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 22:21:23 EDT

I would take the Napa deal if they're cheaper, and their parts are usually
off branded OE or other reputable brand...I've always had good luck with
parts from Napa. From hearing what others have said, I may have just got a
bad few alternators from poop boys, If napa is cheaper, go with them. I
don't think it really matters what came standard, 120 or 136, you could
throw an 180 on there and still be fine. Or at least you could on the fords
and chevys that i've owned in the past... Because of the stereo
competitions that I went to, I usually put the highest amperage alternator
on my car, and that usually ended up being a 180 - 190 amp alternator.
Always worked great for me.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

""Gabriel A. Couriel"" <BigGabe@fiufiji.com> wrote in message news:PFEPJALHADOCFMOEDDPOGEGKCAAA.BigGabe@FIUFIJI.com... > > i just went to pick up my truck from the shop (lower ball joint went), and i > took a drive to some local parts shops. first i went to a rebuild shop, who > told me that the 136 was not available, but they could rebuild my 90Amp for > $50 (but i want to go to a higher amp alternator because i plan on > installing a Viper fan on my truck, and the 90Amp probably can't handle the > fan, A/C, radio, and head/fog lights). i then went to NAPA to find out if > they have one. i was told they have a 120Amp alternator w/ lifetime > warranty for $144 in stock. so now i have 3 questions: what is the higher > amperage alternator that came standard on these trucks (120 or 136???), > should i go with a 120Amp alternator as opposed to a 136, and are NAPA > alternators any good? > > oh, BTW, i plan on throwing an ASP crank pulley on this truck. i found a > really good deal for a new one, and want to bolt it on there. > > Gabe Couriel > http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0 > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net > [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Josh > Battles > Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 3:45 PM > To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net > Subject: DML: Re: RE: Re: alternator question > > > > it probably would not have failed had i not abused it.... glad they've been > working for some people! > > -- > - Josh > Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L > > > ""Rick Barnes"" <barnesrv@attbi.com> wrote in message > news:002501c33048$b7dba6b0$0200a8c0@sys15... > > > > Go figure...I have had great luck with the ProStart stuff and like the > > lifetime warranty. It probably is the luck of the draw as to whether you > > get a good unit or not. > > > > Rascal > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net > > [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Josh Battles > > Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 1:41 PM > > To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net > > Subject: DML: Re: alternator question > > > > > > Gabe, I'd get the name brand one. I've always used either delco or > > motorcraft alternators (i'm a ford/chevy convert) and have never had one > > fail on me. I've found that if you go name brand you get the better > quality > > that will last. They warranty those alternators at poop boys forever b/c > > they're crap. I went thru three 120A prostart ones in a month once - > never > > again. I don't know the quality of the mopar alternators, but I've not > had > > a single problem with mine and I've got quite the hefty stereo in my > > truck.... > > > > -- > > - Josh > > Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L > > > > > > ""Gabriel A. Couriel"" <BigGabe@fiufiji.com> wrote in message > > news:PFEPJALHADOCFMOEDDPOAEGECAAA.BigGabe@FIUFIJI.com... > > > > > > it looks like i'll need to change out my alternator as the whinning > noise > > is > > > getting annoying. i looked at powermaster alternators on summit, but > they > > > are over $400. i looked online, and found several from advanced auto > > parts, > > > including a Bosch reman alternator. the problem is that the Bosch > doesn't > > > have a lifetime warranty (only 1 year), and the other manufacturers that > > > have the lifetime are unknowns (Worldwide or Prostart, from Pepboys). > > > > > > what recommendations do you all have for this problem? should i get the > > > Bosch 136Amp (autolite also makes one, 120Amp but it says "w/ factory > tow" > > > which i don't have, will it make a difference?) or get the brand with > the > > > lifetime warranty? > > > > > > thanks a lot > > > > > > Gabe Couriel > > > http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0 > > > > > > > > > >