Re: Travel trailers

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 11:57:30 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Neff" <jndneff@texas.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 12:22 AM

> Jason, this is very funny. The trailer you have is the same one Debbie and
I picked out
> last night while we were surfing Fleetwood's site. The dedicated, island,
queen size bed
> is a must for us and the floor plan looked quite spacious for such a small
trailer.

:-) Yeah, that was why it caught our eye as well. Also the layout of the
bathroom was a lot nicer than most of the others we had seen. We had been
looking in the 17 - 20 foot range. The model number is 19T4, so we thought
it was a 19' trailer and were quite impressed by how much space it had. By
the time I figured out it was really 24' long, it was too late, we wanted it
:-).

I gave serious thought to getting one of Fleetwood's ultralight models with
a similar layout instead, but decided against it because I'm not a fan of
thin light construction. I'm sure the lighter trailers are built well, it's
just my own preference to have things built more solidly. And there didn't
seem to be a whole lot of savings in actual dry weight, mostly they just
seem to have a lower carrying capacity (smaller water tanks, smaller tires,
etc.)

My second choice that we saw at the show was a Palomino:
http://www.palominorv.com/t21-fb.shtml

Fairly similar layout, and lighter weight. Also a bit more expensive, but
not too bad.

> Have you
> found anything about it you would change if given the chance? Any options
you wish you
> had, or had not, gotten?

Yeah, I wish we'd gotten the 3.9 axle ratio in the Dakota :-).

As for the trailer, we got a "show special" that included virtually every
available option in one package. The only thing we added was the A/C.
Really the only things that I'd want to improve are things you can't do much
about, like the size of the shower for example. As for things we didn't
need, I probably wouldn't have paid for the microwave, but since it was
included we do use it. Sorta changes my definition of "camping" though :-).

> We like camping in the
> Rockies up in the neighborhood of 9000 ft. above sea level so weight is
pretty high on the
> check list.

What's your tow rating? Do you have a V8? What axle ratio? Our QC is
"adequate" for pulling the trailer around Ontario, with the 4.7 and 3.55
axles. I'm planning on changing to 3.92 axle ratios, just because I'm a
little uncomfortable about being as close as we are to the ratings, mostly
for when we move across the country. We'll probably want to have water in
the tanks, which is going to add some weight.

Also don't forget about stuff like the brake controller, weight distributing
hitch, and all the other stuff that you'll need.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer