Re: Travel trailers

From: John (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 18:46:53 EDT

>:-) Yeah, that was why it caught our eye as well. Also the layout of the
>bathroom was a lot nicer than most of the others we had seen. We had been
>looking in the 17 - 20 foot range. The model number is 19T4, so we thought
>it was a 19' trailer and were quite impressed by how much space it had. By
>the time I figured out it was really 24' long, it was too late, we wanted
it
>:-).

24' is longer than we had originally planned, but I'd rather it be a little
larger than too small. Especially if the weight isn't out of line for the
Dak.

>I gave serious thought to getting one of Fleetwood's ultralight models with
>a similar layout instead, but decided against it because I'm not a fan of
>thin light construction. I'm sure the lighter trailers are built well,
it's
>just my own preference to have things built more solidly. And there didn't
>seem to be a whole lot of savings in actual dry weight, mostly they just
>seem to have a lower carrying capacity (smaller water tanks, smaller tires,
>etc.)

I noticed that. I'm not going to pay extra just for something built lighter
and less capable.

>My second choice that we saw at the show was a Palomino:
>http://www.palominorv.com/t21-fb.shtml

>Fairly similar layout, and lighter weight. Also a bit more expensive, but
>not too bad.

Thanks for the link. It looks good. I really need to get to a large sales
lot, or a show, where I can see these in person to get a better feeling for
the size. I looked at a 24' Terry on Saturday. It was nice, but heavy at
4800 lbs. empty.

>Yeah, I wish we'd gotten the 3.9 axle ratio in the Dakota :-).

I already have that one!

>As for the trailer, we got a "show special" that included virtually every
>available option in one package. The only thing we added was the A/C.
>Really the only things that I'd want to improve are things you can't do
much
>about, like the size of the shower for example. As for things we didn't
>need, I probably wouldn't have paid for the microwave, but since it was
>included we do use it. Sorta changes my definition of "camping" though
:-).

My idea of camping is a tent, but my wife is wanting a little more security
since we like to go up in the Rockies were bears are not all that uncommon.
A trailer won't stop one, but the noise of them tearing through the wall
gives one a chance to grab the gun instead of having jaws around your ankle
as the first warning.

>What's your tow rating?

6400 lbs. but my GCWR kicks it down to about 5000 lbs. due to the weight of
my truck with all of it's current accessories.

>Do you have a V8? What axle ratio?

Yes, 5.2L and 3.92 gears. The 33" tires don't help, but I'm not taking them
off.

>Our QC is "adequate" for pulling the trailer around Ontario, with the 4.7
and 3.55
>axles. I'm planning on changing to 3.92 axle ratios, just because I'm a
>little uncomfortable about being as close as we are to the ratings, mostly
>for when we move across the country. We'll probably want to have water in
>the tanks, which is going to add some weight.

With the areas we like to visit, I plan on having a fill of fresh water
whenever we hit the road.

>Also don't forget about stuff like the brake controller, weight
distributing
>hitch, and all the other stuff that you'll need.

Yep, those are already in mind. Brake controllers are much more reasonable
cost wise than I had thought and I was sold on weight distributing hitches,
and sway bars, from my dad when I was growing up.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.net