Re: Check engine light

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 12:50:24 EDT

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 09:16 PM, Jason A Banta wrote:

>> <snip>now I have a code P0455 "Large (gross) leak detected in the
>> evaporative purge system". Now I don'tknow what to do. Anyone have
>> any suggestions?<snip>
>
> Check the O-ring or seal on the gas cap. That's what caused the
> DAKSY to throw the P0455.... If you take it to the dealer, they
> will blow smoke thru the system to find the leak & bag ya for the
> cost of the test...& charge ya for the test AND the cap....

Jason,
I'm new to the list (as of yesterday), so I haven't seen much of the
history of this thread, but if you haven't yet, you should make sure
that all the hoses on the filter itself are hooked up. I found while I
was under my truck last week that one of the two hoses running to
somewhere in the front of the truck (I loose it above the transfer
case) was disconnected. If it's not the gas cap or the hoses at the
filter, and you feel like digging deeper, my Haynes shop manual shows a
schematic of the EVAP system, and I could pass that along.

FWIW, I never got an a SES light, so I'm hoping I don't have the pump
that's supposed to check the EVAP system -- the hose looked like it had
been disconnected for a while, so it should have been detected. I
haven't had a chance to look for the pump yet. the manual says that if
I have it, it should live under my battery box. I'll also know for
sure whether I have any stored codes in a week or so when I get my paws
on a PCM programmer/ scan tool from a group buy going on over at
dodgetrucks.org.

HTH,

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>