RE: Hesitation when cold

From: Brian Tong (thedude807@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 12:41:25 EDT

o2's are probably not the problem if it's stumbling when cold. The PCM
doesn't read them until the motor is warmed up. From what you are
describing, a vacuum leak is a very likely candidate. Or a mal-functioning
fuel injector. A can or two of really potent fuel injector cleaner may be
all you need if an injector or two are simple leaking a little. I don't
have an FSM handy so I don't know what the resistance of the coil inside the
injector should be, but I would take an Ohm meter to the terminals of all
your injectors and see if one or more is slightly higher (by an order of an
ohm or two) than the others.

The experience I'm drawing from is my '90 300zx. These cars are NOTORIOUS
for fuel injectors going bad, and mine had very similar symptoms as your
truck. Rough idle, stumbled when cold, etc. The injectors on that car are
supposed to be between 10 and 14 Ohms. I had one that was at 16.8 Ohms.
Changed it out, problem solved.

Another easy/cheap thing to try is cleaning the throttle boddy and butterfly
valve. If that's gunged up with anything, it'll act like a vacuum leak at
cold operation when the PCM is running off of a preprogrammed map.

Brian
'99 CC 4x4 5.2L