Re: Tire Size

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 11:56:08 EDT

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:06:03 -0400, uAkROnSEth@neo.rr.com ("Seth
Bush") wrote:

>Hey guys,
> After being off the list for about 6 months, I'm finally back! I know
>I've seen numerous times the different tire sizes that will fit on the Gen
>III Daks w/o installing a lift kit or whatever... But I really don't have
>time to search all the archives to find that stuff. I want to put a beefier
>more aggressive looking tire on it to make it look tougher... The factory
>GoodYear's just aren't doing the trick, plus they're almost to the point of
>needing replaced. Can anybody tell me what the largest tire-size I can fit
>on my '02 4x4? Any tire suggestions would also be a plus.

You could probably go with 32" tires with minimal or no rubbing. Wtih
no lift, 33" tires will rub on hard turns.

I'm running 31x10.5x15 BFGoodrich All-Terrains on my '00 4x4. No
problems with fit, as the stock Goodyears were also 31x10.5x15 on my
truck. Whatever size you decide to get, check with your dealer and
make sure that they can adjust your computer to read speed, mileage,
etc. properly with your new tire size.

In terms of what tires to get, it really depends on what you want. By
"aggressive," do you mean an offroad type tire or a sticky street
racing type tire? IMO, as far as offroad type tires go, it doesn't
get much better than BFG ATs, or if you're really into it, MTs
(mud-terrain). I've been running my ATs for just about a year and a
half now, and have put more mileage on them than I did on the stock
Goodyears. At the same time, they have significantly more tread left
on them than the Goodyears did. For me, they are the perfect balance
between a good street tire and a kicka** tire for offroad use. They
handle extremely well on the road (far better than the stock
goodyears), and half the time I don't even have to use 4 wheel drive
when driving through dirt and mud (whereas I had to use it for just
about anything with the Goodyears).

You'll undoubtedly get lots of recommendations for different types of
tires, but many on the list will agree that the BFG AT rocks.

-Bill