Relieved or insulted?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 17:25:49 EDT

I went to Toronto Motorsports Park for points race #8 today.
It drizzled right from 8 a.m. to nearly 3 p.m. :-( That surprised
everyone as there was not a hint of rain in any of the weather
forecasts! They announced over the PA that racing was cancelled
about 1:30 p.m. It seems everywhere else had no rain or had sunshine
except for the "triangle" over the track :-(

They also announced that the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)
had set up a pull-over/check site about 1/2 mile down the road
after you exit to the right from the track. They were pulling
cars and trailered race cars over, checking for aftermarket exhaust
systems and performance mods under the hood. They also had
a portable sniffer set up. Shortly after this announcement, they
announced that another site had been set up down the road exiting
left from the track. A few racers with trailers reported that they had
been given fines of $300 and $400 for weight infractions.

A lot of racers (and I mean a lot) decided to stay in the pits to
either party-on or to stay overnight :-)

I exited to the right (most go that way as it leads to the highway)
after I had packed up. Sure enough, people were being pulled
over into a huge lot by two OPP standing on the roadside. I made
sure that I was in OD, going the limit and very light on the pedal to
keep the exhaust noise down :-D They didn't even give me a look!

I know that I was relieved but I really didn't need the hassle but I
also felt a bit insulted :-) Same type of insult when someone comes
over to me in the pit area and says "that's only a 5.2L". They follow
up by asking my pb and when I tell them 14.30 they look at me and
after a long pause say " that's pretty good" :-)

I knew the Ontario legislature had a bill in the docks for making
aftermarket performance parts illegal (really aimed at those with
nitrous but like all lawmakers they use the sledge hammer approach)
but I had not heard that it was passed into law. And some of you
complain about Bush :-)

Well, back tomorrow for race #9. I wonder if the OPP are going to
stay overnight or set up again tomorrow :-P

Bob