Re: BFG A/T's Stink WAS Re: Tire Size

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 00:07:12 EDT

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:01:54 -0400, andylevy@yahoo.com (andy levy)
wrote:

>B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:
>> BFG All-Terrains suck. They are extremely overrated especially when you
>> consider how much they sell for. They are lousy in the snow - the lugs fill up so
>> fast you might as well be running slicks. They're loud, even for an
>> all-terrain. I bought them for my '02 and I've had them on for 18,000 miles. I'll
>> never buy another set.
>
>I had the exact opposite experience with my A/T KOs. They were solid in
>the snow, I actually had a lot of trouble breaking the rear-end loose on
>purpose with them. I can count on one hand the number of times I felt
>out of control with them through 3 winters. When I parked, I always saw
>airspace between a good number of lugs.

I agree. Although I don't do much driving in the snow (so that wasn't
even really a consideration when I bought my tires), the few times I
have had them in the snow they've handled very well. Compared to the
stock tires, they're amazing in the dirt and mud without compromising
much in the way of mileage. In terms of noise, I'll be the first to
admit that they're noticably louder than the stock tires. That
doesn't bother me much, though, as the sound from my flowmaster
exhaust drowns out most all other road noise, just the way I like it
:)

If I thought these tires sucked, I'd say that they did. Unlike a lot
of people, I don't have a problem admitting if I bought something that
turned out to be a piece of crap. I can also tell you that when it
comes time to buy new tires (which, at the rate they're wearing, will
be several more years), I'll be buying BFG ATs again. If I thought
they sucked, I'd either say that or, at the very least, say nothing at
all. And I certainly wouldn't say that I'd buy another set if I
thought they sucked.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your tires, Bill, but I
just can't agree with you. These are some of the most durable tires
I've seen (short of something insane) and I've been very happy with
them. I wouldn't have a problem sharing my opinions with the DML
group if I didn't feel that way, either.

-Bill