Re: BFG A/T's Stink WAS Re: Tire Size

From: BlackDak93 (stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 09:23:22 EDT

Bill,

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with you about the BFG A/Ts. My
Dakota came with Goodyear A/Ts and they were slick in 25K miles. I couldn't
turn a corner without slipping them. they were horrid in the snow. Since I
had a new spare under the bed, I foolishly bought three more of them and
they were slick by 50K, and they weren't cheap either. I then tried the
Goodyear AT/S. I liked the tread design, but I went to a 30 X 9.50s on a 15
X 8 wheel and they rubbed the inside of the front fender well. I didn't keep
them long enough to find out if they lasted any longer, but I saw them a few
months later and they were slick. I went to a 16" wheel to be able to get a
wheel with a positive offset and get the tires back in under the fenders
where they belonged. I needed a 235-70R16 and at the time I had three
choices. Bridgestone, Firestone, or BFG. The BFGs would not have been my
first choice, however I have never liked Firestone. I bought the BFGs and I
am impressed. I like the wide flat tread design. They now have well over 40k
on them . They have worn very evenly and they still have plenty of tread.
Yes, they were expensive, 70 series tires are more expensive, but they
weren't any more than the GY AT/S. and so far they have lasted almost twice
as many miles. Yes they are a little noisy above 70mph, but they are an
All-Terrain tire. The driving can get pretty treacherous here in Colorado,
and these tires have been a life saver. I throw a couple of bags of sand in
the back and I'm good to go. My snow chains have not been out of the box
since I bought these tires. Will I buy them again? I don't know. There are
more sizes and choices available now. I will shop around, but these tires
have served me well. I guess that's why it's nice to have choices.