Re: BFG A/T's Stink WAS Re: Tire Size

From: BlackDak93 (stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 12:26:29 EDT

 And as I stated, these tires have performed well for me. I won't say
cheaper tires aren't available but I have not seen any comparable tire
anywhere near 1/2 the price. Dollar for dollar, I think these tires are a
good value. As for noise, they are not the quietest, nor are they the
noisiest. If I wanted a quiet tire, I would buy a highway tread, or at least
a less aggressive multi-purpose tread. That is just my opinion. BTW when I
looked at Bridgestone, they were comparably priced to the BFG.
Steve Barnett
<B1LLYW@aol.com> wrote in message news:1dd.c6cb5e2.2c285ba0@aol.com...

> In a message dated 6/23/2003 9:30:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net writes:
>

> > I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with you about the BFG A/Ts. My
> > Dakota came with Goodyear A/Ts and they were slick in 25K miles. I
couldn't
> > turn a corner without slipping them. they were horrid in the snow. Since
> > had a new spare under the bed, I foolishly bought three more of them and
> > they were slick by 50K, and they weren't cheap either. I then tried the
> > Goodyear AT/S. I liked the tread design, but I went to a 30 X 9.50s on a
15
> > X 8 wheel and they rubbed the inside of the front fender well. I didn't
keep
> > them long enough to find out if they lasted any longer, but I saw them a
few
> > months later and they were slick. I went to a 16" wheel to be able to
get a
> > wheel with a positive offset and get the tires back in under the fenders
> > where they belonged. I needed a 235-70R16 and at the time I had three
> > choices. Bridgestone, Firestone, or BFG. The BFGs would not have been my
> > first choice, however I have never liked Firestone. I bought the BFGs
and I
> > am impressed. I like the wide flat tread design. They now have well over
40k
> > on them . They have worn very evenly and they still have plenty of
tread.
> > Yes, they were expensive, 70 series tires are more expensive, but they
> > weren't any more than the GY AT/S. and so far they have lasted almost
twice
> > as many miles. Yes they are a little noisy above 70mph, but they are an
> > All-Terrain tire.
>
> The Goodyear's sucked worse, I agree. As for noise, I stated in my
original
> post that the BFG's are noise, FOR an all terrain tire. I don't care if
they
> wear forever if the performance isn't there even when they are new. I had
Pro