Re: Maintenance list Questions

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 20:42:23 EDT

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:47:17 -0400, 2kdaksport@comcast.net (Craig)
wrote:

>Ok I just got my 2k Dak about 6 months ago and subscribed to the list about
>a month ago. I've got about 55k on the truck and with all the recent posts
>about bearings and timing chains... I'm getting a little worried. I've done
>the normal 3k oil changes
>
>I went through the Owner's manual(haven't broken down and gotten the FSM
>yet)and came up with a short list of things I haven't done yet that I think
>I should do. With questions about each! Those of you that have had your
>Daks since they were new or have been around them for a while, please chime
>in with your sound advice!
>
>1)Wheel bearings.
>Now that it's been mentioned I HAVE noticed a little bit of a hum coming
>from up front. The manual says "Clean and repack if required" So are they
>sealed or not?

I know for a fact that the bearings are sealed on 2000 4wd models.
Not sure about 2wd models, and you didn't mention which you've got.

>2)Spark Plugs and Cables.
>No real questions here unless someone wants to chime in with the best
>possible plugs and wires for the 3.9

Autolites are generally what people run. Just use the plug finder on
their site to pick the correct plug for your application. You could
go one plug colder if you want.

>3)Coolant.
>Again no questions. I like Donald's rig for draining coolant and may
>consider that. I have also purchased a 180 thermostat(since everybody else
>is doing it). My Mom always said "If everybody else jumped off a bridge
>would YOU??" (hope this isn't the blind leading the blind)
>:-)
>
>4)Transfer Case. Drain and refill
>What the heck?? Need a little help here!

Do you have a 4 wheel drive truck? You didn't mention. Although it
looks like you've got a 2 wheel drive truck based on your pictures.
If that's the case, you don't have to worry about this as you don't
have one. On that note, if you haven't done it yet, you should also
change your rear differential fluid. If you have a limited slip rear
differential, you'll need to add a friction modifier to the fluid.
Your dealer's parts department is a surefire way to get that.

>5)AT fluid and filter.
>I just read the owners manual and it said there is no plug?? What?!? I gotta
>take off the whole pan? Is there a AT filter on the 3.9?

Yes, you need to drop the pan, dump the fluid, and then refill. Odds
are you've got the same tranny as everyone else. Search on one of the
auto parts sites or consult your local parts store for the correct
filter(s).

>6)PCV.
>Easy enough.
>
>7)drive belt
>Still looks good.
>
>8)Do I even need to worry about the timing chain yet??
>
>BTW I finally posted some pictures of my Dakota. Nothin' fancy but I sure
>like it!
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/2kdaksport/index.htm

Nice looking truck. A mighty clean engine compartment, too. Seeing
all of these clean engine compartment pictures is making me think that
it's time to give mine a good cleaning ... a few offroad trips kinda
ruined that whole clean thing... :)

-Bill