Maintenance list Questions

From: Craig (2kdaksport@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 17:43:16 EDT

Ok I just got my 2k Dak about 6 months ago and subscribed to the list about
a month ago. I've got about 55k on the truck and with all the recent posts
about bearings and timing chains... I'm getting a little worried. I've done
the normal 3k oil changes

I went through the Owner's manual(haven't broken down and gotten the FSM
yet)and came up with a short list of things I haven't done yet that I think
I should do. With questions about each! Those of you that have had your
Daks since they were new or have been around them for a while, please chime
in with your sound advice!

1)Wheel bearings.
Now that it's been mentioned I HAVE noticed a little bit of a hum coming
from up front. The manual says "Clean and repack if required" So are they
sealed or not?

2)Spark Plugs and Cables.
No real questions here unless someone wants to chime in with the best
possible plugs and wires for the 3.9

3)Coolant.
Again no questions. I like Donald's rig for draining coolant and may
consider that. I have also purchased a 180 thermostat(since everybody else
is doing it). My Mom always said "If everybody else jumped off a bridge
would YOU??" (hope this isn't the blind leading the blind)
:-)

4)Transfer Case. Drain and refill
What the heck?? Need a little help here!

5)AT fluid and filter.
I just read the owners manual and it said there is no plug?? What?!? I gotta
take off the whole pan? Is there a AT filter on the 3.9?

6)PCV.
Easy enough.

7)drive belt
Still looks good.

8)Do I even need to worry about the timing chain yet??

BTW I finally posted some pictures of my Dakota. Nothin' fancy but I sure
like it!
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/2kdaksport/index.htm

Thanks all!
Craig Rash