Re: OT: Price for Big-Block

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 08:31:55 EDT

price depends on if you're looking for one that's ready to drop in and use..
or that's simply getting you a big block to start with. I saw a 413 online
last week they wanted $450 intake to oil pan. and I almost picked up a
driveable '73 Chrysler with a big block for under $200 on E-bay. You're
bang for the buck big block is actually going to be the 400's.
The general consensus seems to be to go bigger than the cars original 383,
and unless you happen across a deal on a 383 with the right date code. I'd
say go ahead and start out with a bigger motor. One of the most popular
set-ups lately is 400 block/ 440 crank(452 cid). My last BB was a 400 with
a 383 crank( I couldn't get a forged crank for a 400 so I got one for a 383
and used that instead)
Sorry this is long, but I hope it helps some.
Aaron Wyse
1994 RC WS 2.5L 5spd
1986 Shelby Charger Turbo
1984 RamCharger 5.9 4X4