Re: U-joints....*sigh*

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 17:39:01 EDT

DAKSY wrote:

> Hey, DML!
>
> Ok...I crawled under the DAKSY after work yesterday & sho nuff, the axle was
> pretty sloppy at the rear u-joint.So, I swung by NAPA & for $12 & change
> each, I grabbed 2 new ones, figgerin, WTF, I'll have the shaft out, so...
> Anyway, got her up on the ramps & struggled mightily to get the bolts out of
> the companion flange....Geez, looked like they were goobed up with
> Threadlock 245 (Blue) along with being torqued to a bazillion
> ton-miles...Then I hadda use a lead dead-blow hammer to get the shaft off
> the rear punkin...
> Got the press out & removed the U-joint bearings from the shaft with some
> herculean effort WD-40 & went to work on the companion yoke. The bearings
> cupswere bound & rusted - almost fused to the yoke...Well I centered the
> bearing cuphead under my 6-ton arbor press & started cranking ....CLANK!..
> sounded like it broke free...well...broke being the operative word here, the
> freekin companion yoke casting fractured! Right alongside the bearing cup
> head! GREAT..
> So I finished the forward end and reassembled the new u-joints
> there...BUT...there appears to be a (harmonic) vibration dampener, donut
> shaped, around the front yoke. This does not appear in the 2K FSM. It had a
> rubber seal of some sort between it & the yoke which got Mahtzoed...I called
> the local 5* & there are 4 companion yoke castings in NY, but I can't get
> one til Monday. $124 dealer price.Ok...I broke it, I'll replace it...but WTF
> do I do about the yoke dampener? Any ideas? Anybody got a pic or a part
> number for this item in their FSM???
> HAYELP!
> TIA!
>
> Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
> (DAKLESS!)
> Averill Park, NY
> 2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed
>
> WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

find a driveshaft shop and let them balance the
whole shaft w/o the outer collar and it should
be fine.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.