Re: !@##%#&^#$*# shocks!!!

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 12:27:25 EDT

<raymond.irons@gm.com> wrote in message
news:OF98C1AB3B.B771ABC2-ON85256D63.004F016D@mail.gm.com...
> Josh?
>
> What shocks did you install? Do you think the lowering kit made a
> difference in the difficulty of the install? I'm asking because I think I
> might need new shocks and I also just found out I need to have knee
surgery
> in the near future. I'm wondering if this is a job I want to tackle myself
> before I get my knee sliced and diced.

Ray,

I put in the same ones as Brian, except that mine were actual monroe
reflexes, not the napa rebranded ones (exactly the same). If i was you, I'd
start soaking the bolts with penetrating oil now for the project in a couple
of weeks. If you don't have any problems it should be a straightforward
install. I think the fronts would be easier actually. I don't think that
the drop made that much of a difference other than preventing me from
getting tools through the springs to grab the shaft of the shock. Also, I
supported the truck by the suspension in the rear and the frame in the
front. If I was going to do it again, I'd prefer that the whole truck be
unspring. having my rear springs carry the load made me have to compress
that new shock and extra 3 inches... let me tell you that being on your back
under the truck having to push something upwards that *REALLY* wants to come
downwards isn't easy. especially having to hold the shock with one hand and
put the bolt thru with the other hand. ouch! (several times)

I don't know your health situation or what kind of knee problems you're
having, but personally I'd try to get it done before the surgery, or wait
until you're *completely* healed before you attempt this, as you'll likely
spend a bunch of time on one or both knees.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L