Re: Re: !@##%#&^#$*# shocks!!!

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 12:16:21 EDT

""Brian Fitchett"" <fitchett@chem.utah.edu> wrote in message
news:beuhoh$9r2$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> hahaha... sounds pretty similar to the problems i had. The front drivers
> side was my major difficulty. the nut splitter did absolutely nothing for
> me. i ended up getting out the dremel and cut the washer and bushing off
> and let the damn thing fall through the hole. I got the rears done with
> little problems and did those on friday night. I will also have to agree
> that the exhaust shields on the passenger side made it a little difficult
> get off but with enough coaxing and cussing it came out ok.

It took me 3 cuts with the splitter, a rolling wedge, and a sledgehammer to
get that nut off. I've kept one of the pieces just as a "f**k you" to the
nut. ;-)

> The ride is 500% better with the new shocks all around. the noises are
gone
> and its so much smoother. Again i have to agree that the reflex (napa
> branded Monroe shocks) shocks are pretty damn good and now that they are
> installed correctly both front and rear it makes a world of difference.
Its
> better now than it was when i first got the truck. And now with a new set
> of michelins on the front (the rear tires were fine) and an alignment the
> truck is better than it ever has been. The tire guys said i needed new
> lower ball joints so i guess i will make a trip to the dealer and see what
> they can do about it.

I'd have to agree with that, mine rides a million times better, i wish i
hadn't waited so long now! I looked at my balljoints when i had the wheels
off, looks like i'll have to replace the left side lower after the bbq, the
plastic ring that secures the bottom of the boot looks like it's starting to
crack. i coated the boots with some wd40 so that they'd stay soft and not
crack. looks like it's time to bust out the "big tools" and take care of
those ball joints once and for all. dammit.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L