Re: VIN report and Carfax

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 23:22:58 EDT

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:38:16 -0400, 2kdaksport@comcast.net ("Craig
Rash") wrote:

>I am looking at a Grand Caravan for the wife and kidlets. I know
>someone on the list does VIN reports and I think I saw someone in the
>past offer to do a Carfax report also. I would also welcome any comments
>about the vehicle from someone who has experince with them. I know this
>isn't a Dakota but most of the list is mopar savvy and I thought of you
>guys first. It looks like a great deal because of the low miles.
>Consumer reports says it ranks poorly on transmission and brakes. I
>thought about the Durango but they are too pricey plus then my wife
>would have a cooler vehicle than me and I couldn't stand for that.(plus
>she doesn't need the V8 or the 4x4).
>
>Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!
>
>2000 Dodge Grand Carvan 15k miles
>VIN: 1G4GJ44G8YB707843

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the trannies on Caravans...
But I suspect that they're just finicky and most people who drive
Caravans beat the crap out of them. (i.e. constant stop and go
"soccer mom" driving, teenagers learning to drive, etc.)

Like most things, it'll probably be just fine if you take good care of
it (change fluid and filters often, etc.). With such low mileage, I
can't imagine that the tranny is shot yet :-)

As far as Consumer Reports goes, I don't take their reviews very
seriously. From what I gather, they, like a lot of other "consumer
magazines" give good ratings to those that advertise the most or bribe
the most.

-Bill