Re: Changing Transmission Fluid and Filters

From: Ron (menoldre@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 00:33:21 EDT

Careful with the flushing.

When I bought my 1995, it had a bit of trouble going from stop to go in
first. Everything else was fine. I checked the transmission fluid and it
had pretty much lost its red color and appeared to be overfull (but I wasn't
checking it in neutral).

I dropped the pan, the filter looked rather new to me but what did I know.
The weird part is that there was a lot of sludge in the bottom, not just a
thin coating, but a lot of sludge. Also, there was quite a few metal
shavings attached to the maganet.

I changed the filter, filled her up (which took about 4 1/2 or more quarts
to do so). This is after the Haynes said add 7 pints and then
check/add/check/add, etc.

When I was fritzing around the my electric these past couple weeks, I
noticed a tag on the one of the harnesses. It was from a local shop who
stated on the tag that the transmission was flushed about 2000 miles ago.

So I guess they flushed it alright, but they couldn't have dropped that pan
only 2000 miles ago and have all of that stuff in the pan when I took it
off.

Make sure that they do indeed change your filter and that they drop your
pan. Oh, also, when I took the pan off, it was hard, someone had used
gasket sealant to hold the pan/gasket on. Mind you, it was a bit hard
getting all of that red rubber stuff out of my pan and off of the edge and
not get any of it into the transmission.

The Hanyes book says not to use any sealant when you replace the
transmission gasket.

Good luck.
-Ron M
95 CC V6 Sport