RE: Brake rotors

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 00:25:56 EDT

Yep, sounds like it's time for a new set of pads and rotors. Or, you can more than likely
get the rotors changed if you don't feel like spending the $ on new ones though turning
will cost about $20.00 for both.

I just did the pads and rotors on my 98 4x4 yesterday. Total time, not including going to
the parts store, was about 30 minutes to actually do the work from the time I pulled the
first wheel to putting the truck back on the ground. You will need a 7mm Allen wrench to
remove the calipers.

I'm running solid Brembo rotors and Performance Friction pads. Both are available at
Autozone for less than a bill out the door.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
Hey yall, I think my brake rotors are going out on me. When braking, truck vibrates a
good bit, espeically when I get below 30mph. If I'm going slow, say 10-15mph, and lightly
braking, you can feel the brakes grabbing, then letting go, then grabbing, etc. Am I
right that this would be the rotors? If so, how difficult are they to replace? I have a
hydraulic jack, stands, and all of the standard tools. Have done brakes once before, and
that wasn't too difficult, but haven't done 'em on the dakota before.... Thought I might
do 'em to save a trip to the shop. Suggestions on some good brakes and where to get 'em?
<unsnip>