Re: Brakes, ABS and brake lights and salt air

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 09:29:40 EDT

""Jeffery B. Denning"" <jldenning@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:012c01c34a67$82398340$5095fea9@aiuppa2...

> My 99 spent 4th of July weekend on the beach in North Carolina, and so it
was misted with often
> gale-force salt-laden sea breeze for 4 days. It got a major car wash
before coming home, but now
> the emergency brake and ABS light stay illuminated after releasing the
emergency brake. I don't
> think the brakes are dragging because it rolls fine and otherwise the
brakes work normally. Any
> ideas on what's causing this?

I don't know if this is your problem, but check the fluid level in the
resivoir... it can cause the "brake" light to stay illuminated when you
release the e-brake if the level is low. If this is the case, you probably
need to do brakes. They build this feature in so that if you don't top off
your brake fluid, as the pads wear the level will go down and eventually let
you know when it's time to do your brakes. ;-)

> Also, every time I take my truck to the beach I worry that I'm setting it
up for premature
> rusting. What do you all think about that? If you planned to keep your
truck for years would
> you take into such a corrosive environment?

Oh, corrosive environment huh? Come live in Chicago for the winter.
There's probably still salt on the roads now from winter because they put
down so much of it. As Andy already stated, keep it clean and take care of
the paint and you won't have any problems.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L