Rear end lift ???'s (add-a-leafs?)

From: Kevin S. (ksellstr@softcom.nospam.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 23:39:09 EDT

I'm looking for anyone's opinions of the add-a-lift or similar options
for getting improved ride-height for the rear end of my Dak. It's a
'99, 4x4, w/factory "HD" suspension (1800# payload).

I'm considering the Fabtech, Rough Country, or ProComp add-a-leafs to
raise the rear end a little, stiffen it up, and make it handle a load
like a truck should. What have others used and how do you like them???

I've heard nothing but rave reviews here for the Roadmaster, but will it
regain the lost suspension height? 1/2" doesn't seem like much for $270.

When we bought the truck, it sat level. We installed a fiberglass
camper shell that weighs about 200#, causing the truck to sit a little
lower. When we toss in a little camping gear, or hook up the boat
trailer, it squats. After years of Dodges, I'm gunning to get this one
to my beloved old standard.

I'm hoping to raise it the 1" it lost to the camper and maybe a little
more for good measure, stiffen it up (the softness improved with the
Bilsteins but is still enough to make me dizzy), and make it stand a
little prouder in the rear like a truck should :) I actually appreciate
the stiff ride of my old Dodges, however I realize that stiff is a
subjective term. I also realize that the stiffer springs will reduce
suspension articulation in the woods, however I suspect I can make up
for that a little with swaybar disconnects.

Any other thoughts are welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2,
'69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '85 Volvo 244, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized
Rockhopper A1FS